Amazing Amazon

by Jeannie Tran

 

The Amazon rainforest makes up 25% percent of South America; it is so vast that it lies within 9 countries: Brazil, French Guyana, Suriname, Guyana, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia, 62% is in Brazil alone, the other 38% is in the the other 8 countries. The Amazon covers over a billion acres of land; if it were a country, it would be the ninth largest in the world. The Amazon rain forest has been described as the "Lungs of our Planet" because it provides the essential environmental world service of continuously recycling carbon dioxide into oxygen. More than 20 percent of the world's oxygen is produced in the Amazon. Rainforests now exist on only a small part of our planet.

The Amazon's source tributary is the Apurimac River; Apurimac means "great speaker," which pertains to the roaring of the rapids. From snowy Amazon peaks to misty jungle, the Amazon heads north, then east, paralleling the equator, crossing South America, and spills out one fifth of all the fresh water discharged by rivers in all the seas on earth out at the Atlantic.

The volume flow of the Amazon River is eleven times greater than the Mississippi. The navigable waterways equal to an estimated 50,000 miles. There are 1,100 major tributaries. It is said to be 4,195 miles long; 50 miles longer than the Nile.

 

Many different types of people live in the Amazon. Natives are able to survive off the vegetation and game provided by the rain forest. Originally Indians were the ones living there, but as time passed people mmigrated and settled in the Amazon.

But soon we won't have the Amazon to enjoy, deforestation continues each day as people continue to destroy and cut down trees. Many animals are endangered species and if they aren't protected, they will be gone forever. There are still thousands of species that haven't even been discovered or described by science yet; we may lose them before we even know they existed in the first place.

 

ANIMALS PLANTS LINKS CREDITS

Return to to All Projects Home